How does the Bakery teach me about Love, Compassion and Humility?

 

A couple of years ago I prepared my first bread recipe, motivated by one of the cooking influencers with the most followers, “Ana Easy Recipes”. My father had already told me about her. First I watched her videos to entertain myself. But, due to my problems with IBS, chronic and severe irritated bowel syndrome that I suffer from, I made the decision to start preparing my own bread at home. I say that Ana motivated me, because in her videos she always talks about how you have to lose your fear of the kitchen, that's how I decided to make my first bread at home. Well, you can imagine that the kitchen ended up white because of all the scattered flour. I was afraid of the dough! I reviewed the recipe several times so as not to make any mistakes. When the tasty bread finally came out of the oven, it was not only an exciting moment, but also, I felt very proud of myself because I had done it. That was the first step of a journey in my learning about bread and pastry doughs, and although I’m far from being an expert, there are many things that I have been learning and that I want to share with you. The first thing is that the bakery takes you out of your comfort zone, because you have to face your own fears if you want to learn. But there is something very nice, with practice you realize that the dough is what guides you, it is what tells you if it needs more water, or more flour, etc. In some cases you have to let it rest for a few minutes so that it relaxes and you can continue kneading with love. The contact of your hands with the dough connects you with your intuition and practice leads you to a deeper understanding of the preparation process. Each ingredient is unique, and you have to respect them and learn from them. But you also understand that sometimes not everything turns out well, there are days when the recipe did not have the expected ending, but you don't give up, you always say, I'll try it again until it comes out! Over time, you also find your own path, and each bread, cake, etc., has a flavor with your personal touch. It is an active meditation, because at that moment, thoughts dissipate from your mind, all your attention is in the present moment, it is an act of love. Because there is no cooking without love, it is a moment where you feel fully, and the most beautiful thing is that you share that act, because you cook for others. The smile or happiness of those who tried what you prepared is the reward you receive from the kitchen. I propose then, that if we want to learn about love, compassion and humility, it is necessary for human beings to return to the simple and everyday activities of life, such as cooking.


Comments

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *